The Best Betting Sites in UK
If you are looking for betting sites UK players can access, we will run through the very best bookmakers on the market. We will explain a little about each service, what makes them stand out, how we rank them and how you can get started with them.
The Best Sports Betting Sites
There are some great online bookmakers available for players to enjoy right now, and with them all competing to try and claim business, the service on offer just keeps getting better. So if you are looking to find the top betting sites, then look no further – we have them right here for you.
Many people will know of bet365 – they are a big name in the industry, with an excellent reputation amongst players. Founded in 2000, they are a British-based bookmaker with a vast online presence and one of the world’s biggest sportsbooks. Horse racing markets are excellent – they are known for offering very competitive odds and have several offers, including enhanced EW betting, for horse racing fans to enjoy. With solid odds and great, regular offers to use, if you want a great deal, this is a site where you will find it.
- Claim very competitive odds on this site
- Excellent horse racing offers enhanced EW, free bets and more
- One of the biggest sportsbooks on the planet, offering many events that others don’t
- Known for making lots of price changes to their betting markets
Skybet have grown to become a vast sport betting brand and is a UK-based company founded online in 2001. They offer mobile and internet betting and have grown to become one of the leading players in this part of the market. Skybet put a lot of money into horse racing sponsorship, and as part of that, they have an incredible number of horse racing specials, from cashback offers to enhanced special bets, price boosts, additional each-way places, and much more. This is a natural standout area for them, while their mobile service is also a highlight, offering quick and easy bet placement.
- Huge range of horse racing promotions and offers
- Great mobile app for betting on the go
- A big gambling platform with sports as the primary focus
- The odds on offer are average
Part of the bigger 888 group, 888Sport was founded in 2008, and although it wasn’t the primary offering from this group when it first started, it certainly is now. The 888Sport website is jam-packed full of betting opportunities, and one of the biggest and best parts of their site is the horse racing section. Here, you will find full UK & Irish coverage and excellent international racing. Best of all, 888Sport are known for offering incredible betting odds, so when you place your bets here, you know you are getting some of the very best odds on the market.
- Excellent betting odds available
- Great coverage of many sports, including horse racing
- Strong promotions and offers for existing customers
- Site navigation can be a little complex
A traditional UK bookmaker on the high street taking bets for many years, William Hill is a big name in UK sports betting, notably horse racing. Founded in 1934, this company was there at the beginning and now uses all of that experience to power their online service and still have shops in the UK. When it comes to horse racing, you will find great offers here, as well as price boosts you can add to your bets, increasing the odds you take. As you would expect from such a big name, the size of this sportsbook is impressive too, with many sports covered and events that some other bookmakers do not offer.
- A traditional sportsbook with significant ties to the horse racing industry
- Use price boosts to enhance the odds when you want
- Comprehensive ranging options for betting, with many events and sports covered globally
- Website is a little tough to navigate for new players
Irish bookmaker Paddy Power has shot to fame to become one of the most prominent online players since its launch in 1988. They have leapt to the top of the market thanks to some outrageous advertising campaigns, as well as some great specials and enhanced markets. They offer a powerful horse racing section on their site, with a wide range of ante-post markets, as well as daily racing for players to enjoy. The excellent promotions cover the entire site, so whatever the sport you bet on, you are likely to be able to find a deal to enhance your bets.
- Great promotions and offers for existing customers across many sports
- Fantastic ante-post coverage of the significant horse racing events
- Huge sportsbook covering a wide range of sports
- Regular odds are no better than average
Initially starting life as a betting exchange for customers to bet against each other back in 1999, Betfair has grown and expanded to offer its sportsbook to players. With one Betfair account, you can play the exchanges and place bets on the sportsbook, which is a big positive for many. When it comes to horses, the Betfair sportsbook offers a robust platform, with the sheer number of events covered globally being positive. Look out for money back offers too, they often have a couple of horse racing promotions running for players. As for the overall sportsbook, this is a global service, with so much choice on offer that every different type of player will be left very happy.
- Regular promotions for existing customers across horse racing and other sports
- Global sportsbook, with coverage in many countries around the world
- Bet on the sportsbook and exchange with one account
- Navigation of the site is a little complex
Ladbrokes have been part of the UK betting industry since they were founded in 1902, and during that time, they have been a mainstay on high streets up and down the country. When online gambling began to take over, they added this to their service and used their overall gambling experience to create a fantastic online platform. Being a traditional bookmaker, there is a lot of focus on horse racing, with excellent odds, great ante-post markets and daily specials such as distance bets and winning favourites. Elsewhere around the sportsbook, coverage of big sports such as football, tennis, and golf, is some of the best on the market.
- Strong focus on ante-post betting markets
- Very competitive odds across the entire site
- Daily horse racing specials such as distance bets and winning favourites
- Only a small number of promotions and bonuses are available
Since founded in 1926, Coral have strongly served the betting industry. With a significant presence on the UK high street and around horse racing tracks in the UK, they have a considerable history with horse racing and continue to cover the sport as complete as possible. There are good horse racing promotions available to claim with Coral, which is great to see online. On top of that, the odds here are solid, and the mobile betting service they have on offer is also very appealing and simple, and easy to use.
- Claim the many horse racing promotions that are available on site
- Very competitive odds, some of the best on the market
- An excellent mobile betting platform
- Website navigation is a little complex for beginners
A very traditional name in horse racing, due to the tote pools run on course, enabling punters to bet into pools rather than with fixed odds. This alternative to fixed odds is now available online, and although the company has changed, it was initially founded back in 1928 and has been a part of racing since then. With bet types you won’t find elsewhere, the ability to bet into pools rather than with fixed odds and some great promotions, this site can certainly offer that if you like horse racing betting with a difference.
- A big name in the world of horse racing
- Unique betting pools, rather than fixed-odds betting
- Excellent horse racing promotions are available
- Horse racing and football are the only two sports covered on the site
Compared to some names in the industry, Virgin Bet is brand new, formed in 2019, but they have gone from strength to strength and quickly grown their service so far. This is a solid overall sportsbook, with a lot covered, including horse racing from the UK & Ireland and international racing. One real standout about the horse racing service is the daily specials they create for each UK meeting, offering you alternative ways to bet on the action. Overall, as a sportsbook, the service is strong and continues to grow, with more sports, leagues, and events being covered by Virgin Bet.
- Excellent horse racing daily specials to enjoy
- Strong sportsbook, with coverage of many sports and leagues
- Very impressive Virgin Bet mobile app available for download
- Known to only offer average odds
Founded as recently as 2012, Bet UK is one of the fastest-growing bookmakers currently in operation, with the site home to some of the most competitive sports betting markets available, as well as a state-of-the-art online casino for users to explore. Sponsors of Swansea City in 2018/19, their presence in the UK sports scene is becoming more and more common and is helping to grow the brand into one of the biggest online betting companies. As this expansion continues, expect to see even more of Bet UK in the years to come.
- Excellent Sportsbook covering a range of sports both in the UK and overseas
- Free live streaming available on horse racing
- Existing customer promotions include Sunday Deposit Match and Bet UK Acca Club
- Poor website configuration in places
Matchbook is a betting exchange but it’s a warm website that would give you the impression you were on a regular sportsbook site. Rather than bet directly with Matchbook, players back and lay against fellow users and therefore have a greater say in the odds that they are prepared to take on a certain market. With lower commission than some other exchange services and decent liquidity in their betting markets, it is no surprise that Matchbook is becoming more and more popular with not only seasoned gamblers but also newcomers to the industry.
- Competitive betting exchange with plenty of liquidity in the markets
- Easy website to navigate and the app is also well designed
- Strong online casino which includes a live play option
- Quite limited offering of sports betting markets
One of the very latest companies to hit the online betting market, FansBet was established in 2017 and offers users not only a comprehensive array of sports betting markets but also a superb online casino. As can probably be deduced by their name, FansBet is committed to combining both the fan experience in sport with the online gaming world.
- Betting markets available on an extensive variety of sports
- Wide range of online casino options
- A long sign-up promotion period gives new customers time to place qualifying bets
- Current website does look a little dated in comparison with other sites
A relatively new arm of the popular LiveScore brand, LiveScore Bet has burst onto the online betting scene in recent years and provides its users with a range of betting options on both sports and casino markets. Particularly popular with football bettors due to its selection of odds on a variety of football markets worldwide, LiveScore Bet has an impressive online website and mobile app currently in place.
- Stylish mobile app and online website which are both easy to navigate
- Excellent existing customer promotions including free accas and free online games
- Live streaming available on both horse racing and football markets
- Football orientated compared with other sites
One of the leading bookmakers in South Africa, Hollywoodbets is aiming to add some sparkle to the UK betting scene. Perhaps best known with UK bettors for its sponsorship of Brentford FC, Hollywoodbets is keen to expand its operation into other popular UK sports, with a recent sponsorship of Flat jockey Daniel Muscutt showing an interest in UK horse racing.
- Solid promotions are in place for both new and existing customers
- Ability to place bets on a wide range of sports markets
- Competitive online casino offering both live play and traditional casino options
- Website layout is a little clunky and could do with updating
How we Rank Betting Sites
We have given our thoughts on the best betting sites around, but you need to know and understand how we came to that decision. This is not something we take lightly, and there are many factors involved in choosing where sites go on our ranking list.
Here are the main focus points of our research, which all combine to rank the betting sites in order.
- The welcome bonus
- Regular promotions for existing customers
- Odds on offer
- Number of sports/leagues/markets to bet on
- Payment and withdrawal methods
- Customer service options and opening times
- Licensing and regulation
- Mobile and live betting options
- User-friendly website
Best Betting site for Football
Football is a hugely popular sport for both watching and betting. So the football service you find with most bookmakers will be strong, but some go above and beyond to offer a perfect football betting platform, and the best of those is Betfair.
They have worldwide coverage for players to enjoy – regardless of when you log on, there will be games available to bet on that are kicking off shortly. On top of this, look out for regular football enhanced special bets for the big games and promotions that you can use to improve the bets you place.
If it’s football you are looking for, Betfair have precisely what you want.
Best Betting site for Horse racing
Horse racing and betting have been together for many years, and now we see big online sportsbooks take their service forward to a whole new level. A leader in this field is bet365, an excellent horse racing platform enhanced by great promotions and bonuses.
Whether it’s free bets for backing winners at big odds, enhanced place terms on big races or money back offers, there is always something for punters to claim on this site. This will improve your betting regularly, and this comes alongside the fact that the odds on offer here are very competitive, which already gives you a good deal.
If it’s horse racing betting and a great deal you want, bet365 have precisely that on offer.
Things to Consider Before opening a Bookmaker account
You may have found your ideal betting platform, offering the welcome bonus and regular promotions you want, as well as all the betting markets you need. However, just a small number of final checks need to be made before you jump in.
Safety and Security
Betting is an enjoyable pastime, but you won’t enjoy things if you do not feel safe and secure on your betting site. You must check that the site has a license from the UK Gambling Commission, the site is secure, and you are with a company that takes player safety very seriously.
Part of feeling safe online while betting involves the payment methods you use. Check out what the site has available, and make sure you are comfortable using one of them, ideally something you have used online before.
Many people look to place bets on a mobile device, but you need to ensure your operator is fully mobile-ready, and you are too. This means checking they have an app available for your type of device, finding out how to download it, and then adding it to your phone after the sign-up process has been completed.
How to Open a Bookmaker Account Step by Step
If you would like to open a bookmaker account, the good news is that this is a simple and easy process to follow – see our step-by-step guide below.
- Choose the offer you would like to claim and head over to that bookmaker, using our link to take you onto the landing page.
- Sign up for a new account, enter your details and make sure you remember to verify the account straight away to avoid any delays and problems in the future.
- The next stage is to make your first deposit. If this will be used as part of your welcome bonus, ensure you deposit an amount and use a method that is eligible for the offer.
- The only part left to do is place your bets. Again, if your offer depends on any bets you are placing, check the minimum stake and odds requirement and any other terms attached to ensure your bet qualifies for the offer.
What Makes A Great Online Bookmaker?
There are many good bookmakers available, but a few great bookmakers are standing tall above those. These services go above and beyond the call of duty to give you the best possible betting service they can provide.
They do that by offering the very best across several different elements of their site, and these are what you need to look out for.
- The best odds on the market – not all the time, but certainly regularly
- Sports, leagues, and markets no one else covers – The ultimate when it comes to betting choice
- Great bonuses and promotions – A big welcome bonus and further promotions to use after signing up for your sport
- Live betting and mobile betting – Two significant new arrivals in the betting world, if your bookmaker is ahead of the curve, these will already be in place and work perfectly
- The best security – Sites should offer a UK license, take every step possible to be safe and only provide secure payment methods for players to use
- User-friendly platform – Everything on the great sites is built with the customer in mind – we want to see very simple and easy to use platforms packed with great gambling options
Which is The Best Online Betting App?
The mobile betting industry is a battleground for those trying to convince the new wave of mobile-only players to get on board and sign up. Mobile betting is the industry’s future, offering quick and easy convenience that cannot be matched by traditional desktop computer betting.
All you need is a mobile phone and an internet connection to start betting. The best online betting app for us is the one from bet365. This app has everything you could wish for – it is full of betting markets, all promotions can be claimed on the app and on top of that, it is rapid and easy to use.
The bet365 service is known for its size, but everything is listed on this small mobile app that you can keep on your phone, giving you instant access to one of the best sportsbooks on the planet from your pocket.
Bookie Frequently Asked Questions
There are many betting sites in the UK to choose from, but only the very best stand out for the service they have on offer for players.
When choosing your UK betting site, you should always go with one licensed and regula
A risk-free bet is a bet without risk. This may be a free bet, paid for by the bookmaker, or a money-back risk-free bet, where you pay for the bet, but if it loses, you have your stake refunded.
To verify your betting account, you will need to send in documents to prove your name, date of birth and address, such as a passport, driving license or utility bill.
Gambling is a skill, though you will need some luck along the way. But, more importantly, gambling should always be fun and if you find that it isn’t fun for you and you need help, then make sure you head over to https://www.begambleaware.org/ for help and support.
comfortable with. The available options should include debit cards, e-wallets, bank transfers, pre-paid cards and mobile payment methods.